Wednesday 15 May 2013

Consulate Interview Appointment experience

Hi Guys,

In my last blog I explained my OFC appointment experience. My earlier blog is located here.


This blog explains my experience at the Consulate Interview Appointment. If you need a shorter version, just read the part below in bold.



I had booked my consulate interview appointment at 7.45 am on the very next day after my OFC appointment. I wore formals, Full shirt, Pant and formal shoes to look serious about my further education in front of the interviewer. Needless to say, do not take any electronic appliances, do not keep anything in your pockets other than your handkerchief and do not take anything in your hands (Not even a watch or remote car keys). They will not allow it inside the consulate and there is no facility for keeping your items here. So, please do not carry anything other than your entire file which contains your passport, your i-20, your interview appointment confirmation, your DS-160 confirmation and your finances. Better to take the i-20 of other universities you have received admits to just in case they ask.

I reached the consulate around 30 minutes before the appointment time as mentioned in the interview confirmation page. There was a long queue outside the consulate. I went and stood in the queue. It was early morning and hence it was fine. Not hot as the sun hadn't grown to it's fiery rage. If you have a choice, choose an early morning interview time. In the queue,  a person came and scanned my passport bar-code that was attached at the OFC. Then I went to the security check area, much like the one you go before boarding a flight. After the security check, the guys there made us sit in the consulate seating area outside in a queue for around 15-20 minutes. Please do not break the queue just because some idiot breaks it. After being seated for a while, a person came and checked my interview appointment page, passport and i-20 and told me to keep the passport and i-20 in my hand and everything else in the file. Then they allowed me to go inside the building (again in a queue) where there is AC :P. There are several counters at this place (around 45). Here, my passport was checked at one of the counters and a page, little smaller than the passport was stuck on the front of my passport. This page contained my coupon no.. Then, they guided me to the counter 41-42, I guess... Anyways, they will tell you the counter no. where your passport as well as your four left fingers will be scanned (Keep these fingers safe :P). I believe this is only for checking if they have your correct details. Then they told me to sit anywhere (I was looking for a queue but no queue here ;)) and await my coupon number to be displayed. I waited for my coupon number as well as the counter corresponding to it to be displayed on the TVs (Yes, there are a lot of them everywhere). It took around 15-20 minutes as there was quite a bit of rush on that day. I heard announcements in a few regional languages mainly intended for people who have taken a Non-English interview. Anyways, as soon as my coupon number was displayed, I rushed to that counter. On the other side of the counter was the guy from US interviewing me. As soon as you reach the counter, try to greet him... In my case he greeted me first but doesn't matter. I thought of greeting him first but when I reached the counter my brain stopped working. Give the passport and i-20 form to the interviewer.
Now after so much of writing, here comes the important part which you all have been waiting for :P
The questions that the interviewer asked me are:
1. Why did you choose this university? Just tell the truth confidently. Do not say that this is the only university I got an admit in...Probably tell a bit about the quality of university and the field that you are studying at the university.

2. Who is funding your education? Tell the truth.
3. I see that you have visited a foreign country. Why? Just tell the truth. 
4. When did you pass-out of college? I told him that I passed out in 2010.
5. What have you been doing since then? I told him that I have been working in IT.
6. What are you doing in IT? If you are pursuing further studies in IT, you can explain your work. If not, tell that you are switching fields and hence would like to do further education in the field in which you did your Bachelors or similar.


He told me to wait a minute.. He seemed to be filling up some form on the computer. And then finally after the long wait... of probably 15-20 seconds or so (felt like 10 min :P), he told me that my visa is approved and you will get it in 2-5 working days. Then he gave me back the i-20 form and that's it, you exit the place. He did not ask me for any documents. Although I should not be giving advice and all, I would say that be yourself and answer confidently and truthfully.


I reached this place at 7.15 am and I was out by around 8.30 am mostly because of the wait time, the actual interview was probably just 2 minutes. Although not compulsory, it is better if you dress in formals for this interview.


I checked my mail on the next day in the evening and the mail said that the visa office had received my passport. I went to collect the passport the next day and have received my passport with visa stamped. Please take your government issued identity proof (Pan card, driving licence) original and one xerox as well as the interview appointment confirmation page to collect the passport.


I guess that's all. Don't worry. If you show that you have funding and a good reason for study, there would be no issues. 


Now, seeing this blog, I have probably made this blog a bit longer, although didn't mean to :P. 


Please do not hesitate to email me at rprash30@gmail.com or comment to this blog if you need any more information.


Best of luck for your interview. 

Keep Laughing :D

31 comments:

  1. Hi Prashanth,

    Thanks for sharing your experience. It was fun, at the same time informative to read.

    A silly question - Any offense on carrying wallet? Especially if there are cards with magnetic strips.

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can carry your wallet but you will have to leave it outside the consulate (No locker facility). They do not allow wallets inside.

      Delete
    2. Hi Prashanth! Is wallet still not allowed on Visa agencies? I applied my visa thru Surevisa Manila.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience. My question is:
    Is it necessary that we have to carry a see through file or can we carry a non see-through harmonium case file, so that all documents are properly arranged?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A non see through harmonium file would be perfect. I carried the harmonium file for the interview as well. Just see that you do not carry any metallic objects in them as they would be detected and will have to remain outside the consulate.

      All the best for your interview.

      Delete
  3. thanks for sharing! very helpful..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Even though I haven't appeared for interview yet, gives a positive vibe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was outstanding Prashanth....thanks a ton for such a beautifully & detailed written feedback. Appreciate the effort & the humanity in guiding others to avoid any confusions. It would be helpful for one & all in the entire procedure. God bless...
    p.s. just a small query. is the parking available around. if not what could be the option to reach there, if taken a cab how far have to walk from the road. TIA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After 2days i'm going to attend my interview for carnival cruise can you tell me some tips?

    ReplyDelete
  8. pls tell me how do i carry money if i am travelling alone i need to carry some cash for transport???

    ReplyDelete
  9. pls tell me how do i carry money if i am travelling alone i need to carry some cash for transport???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can one use cap or hat to avoid sun ? Is it permissible to take it inside ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got just 5.5 bands in ielts so is there any prob with that score..?? I'm applying for ms cs over there.. i got a conditional admission frm cbu..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got just 5.5 bands in ielts so is there any prob with that score..?? I'm applying for ms cs over there.. i got a conditional admission frm cbu..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Author,
    Want to apply visa for USA? At Y-Axis our consultants have a rich experience in filing and documentation since 1999 will help you in getting the visa process quick. Call Y-Axis Overseas Careers today and our consultants will assist you with Visa documentation and processing.
    For more Information visit: https://www.y-axis.com/contactus/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zawata global is the India's best Immigration & Visa Consultancy. Providing immigration services for Australia, Canada, Denmark, Hongkong. Contact for more detail call us on 04066664613 or mail us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eminence Immigration Consultant Pvt Ltd. is the best immigration consultants providing visa processing services for Australia, Canada, Denmark, USA, UK, Hong Kong and also providing abroad student visa, student visa consultant and services from hyderabad, India.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks a lot for the information.
    nice work. keep on blogging

    ReplyDelete
  17. getting visa is not a big thing in present days, want to know how contact us visas permits

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for providing such a great information about US Visa Hyderabad for more details kindly study the following post

    ReplyDelete

  19. Nice blog Content.It is very informative and helpful. Please share more content. Thanks.
    Jobs in Mumbai for freshers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post . It is important and very useful, and the articles are nice to share everyone. Visa Services in Chennai | US Tourist Visa

    ReplyDelete
  21. After reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be book-mark and checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks a lot. any idea about family group interview

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey everyone,
    Is anybody interested in US immigration?
    First, you need to know US visa requirements and once you qualified under the eligibility criteria proceed with further procedure. XIPHIAS Immigration is the most awarded immigration consultant in Dubai, offering visa services from 14 years. Contact & apply Now!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the useful information.
    Get Canada PR through the following program. Click on the each program for more information.
    Alberta PNP
    British Columbia PNP
    Manitoba PNP
    New Brunswick PNP

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the useful information.
    Get Canada PR through the following program. Click on the each program for more information.
    Canada Investment Visa
    Canada startup Visa
    Manitoba Investment Visa
    Canada corporate visa
    Canada Work permit

    ReplyDelete